The black kale is a vegetable with very dark leaves. It is gathered after the first part of the winter and it is used all over Italy to cook soups, side dishes and seasoning. Typical from Lombardy is the black kale casserole and here is the recipe.
Black kale casserole
Ingredients – 4 people
- 1 black kale
- 120g bacon (cubes or sliced)
- 250g tomato sauce
- 1 onion
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 spoonful of vegetable stock
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt qs
- Pepper qs
Side dish for pork chops, pork sausages or boiled meat.
How to cook the black kale casserole
- Put a lot of salted water in a big pot and bring it to the boil. Wash the kale and let it boil for 10 minutes. Drain it, let it cool down and then mince it roughly.
- In the meanwhile, warm up the oil in a terracotta casserole. Mince the onion roughly and put it in the casserole with bacon and rosemary.
- Let them brown for a little time and then add the minced kale, tomato sauce and half of the vegetable stock. Add salt and pepper, cover it with a lid and let it cook for 20 minutes on a low heat.
- Take off the lid and add the other half of the stock. Let it cook without the lid until it has thickened. Then serve it on meat or bread.