Let us introduce you to another traditional dish of Lombardy: sausage and saffron risotto. Since whole grains are becoming increasingly popular, we chose brown Carnaroli rice as the main ingredient for this savoury autumn recipe. Note that all the ingredients we use are produced locally, including saffron, which is cultivated in the area of Brescia.
Brown rice risotto with sausage and saffron
Ingredients – serves 4
- 500ml vegetable broth
- 300g brown rice
- 200g sausage
- 1 tsp saffron
- 1/2 glass of white wine
- Extra virgin olive oil q.s.
- Onion q.s.
- Salt to taste q.s.
Brown rice is not as soft as white rice and needs a longer cooking time.
How to make brown rice risotto with sausage and saffron
- For the broth, put half a onion, 1 celery stick and 1 carrot in a large pot and fill it with water. Bring water to a boil and simmer for 30min on a low heat, then filter. Granular broth can be used as an alternative.
- Peel and chop the sausage
- Brown some finely chopped onion in a pan with a bit of olive oil. Add 300g of rice and toast it for a while, then add a splash of white wine and mix from time to time until it has evaporated.
- Add the chopped sausage.
- Add broth one ladle at a time and stir well. When the risotto is ready, add saffron and salt to taste.
- Turn the heat off and stir in some Parmesan cheese.
Eating this is even more enjoyable understanding the history.