Gnocchi (pizzoccheri) Valchiavenna, are a plate type Chiavenna which is still proposed in Crotti, natural ravines that penetrate within the remains of ancient landslides which have become detached in the distant past by the sides of the valley, which now house Taverns.
Ingredienti – 4 persone
- 500 g of potatoes
- 200 g of stale bread
- 3 o 4 dl of milk
- 170 g about of flour
- 150 g of Bitto cheese (alternatively another mountain cheese that meld well)
- 40 g of butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- nutmeg (optional)
- 4 o 5 sage leaves
- salt enough
- Prepare the bread. Break up the bread, put it in a bowl with 3 dl milk and let it soften for a few hours. Remove the rind only if it is too dry and burned.
- Chop the bread with one hand, so as to obtain a slurry and, if necessary, add a little milk. Add the sifted flour, a pinch of salt and one of nutmeg and mix it all. The mixture should be soft and not dry.
- Boil about 3 liters of water in a large pot, add salt, add the potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes of about 1.5 cm wide, make boil again then, with the help of 2 teaspoons, take man hand a bit of compound, formed a big handful and drop it directly into the pot. This operation must be performed rather quickly, to avoid that the first gnocchetti overcooking and fies.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large pan with sage and garlic peeled and crushed. Drain the pizzoccheri, transfer them into the pan, add the cheese cut into slivers or small cubes and sauté everything for a few seconds or until the cheese has melted well. Serve immediately hot, in a serving dish.