The Risotto with sparkling wine, onion and Bitto takes its name from the valley of the same name that ends in Morbegno (val di Bitto). It is made with whole milk, in forms of the average weight of 20 pounds; when it is youung it is sweet, soft and buttery; when maturing one or two years, it becomes hard and spicy.
Ingredients – 4 portions
- 50 g bitto
- 160 g carnaroli rice
- a knob of butter
- half an onion
- a glass full of sparkling wine
- half liter of vegetable broth
- grated grana cheese
- salt and pepper
This risotto with sparkling wine, onion and Bitto is very delicate and exquisite; the “Bitto” cheese is produced on the Italian Alpi foothills and it is made only in the summer months and in the high pastures; the characteristics of the cheese are conditioned by grasses eaten by cow.
- Prepare the broth and keep it always boiling.
- In a saucepan, slice a red onion and let it simmer with the butter, then add the rice and toast it.
- Pour the wine and let the rice to absorb all the liquid then add a ladle of broth and don’t add other until rice has not absorbed it.
- When almost cooked, grind the Bitto cheese with a grater with large holes stir and add it to the rice turning it sometimes, then add a little ‘of grana cheese and mix up again.
- Grind some pepper on each plate and serve hot.