Snails alla lombarda is a side dish which pairs perfectly with meat dishes and full-bodied red wines. It’s a traditional dish of the regional cuisine of Lombardy that helps us ridiscover its most authentic flavours: a particular and unusual recipe that will surprise your diners with its savory but delicate taste.
Snails “alla lombarda”
Ingredients – serves 4
- 50 shelled and boiled snails
- 50g butter
- 50g anchovies
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 small bunch of parsley
- 1 glass of white wine
- Flour q.s.
- Extra virgin olive oil q.s.
- Salt to taste q.s.
- Pepper to taste q.s.
Make sure you stir the sauce with care when adding the flour to prevent clumps from forming. Serve with toasted bread slices.
How to cook snails “alla lombarda” – traditional recipe
- Clean the anchovies and chop them finely. Then chop the onion and the parsley leaves finely.
- Put a bit of olive oil in a casserole and brown the garlic cloves, then remove them.
- Add butter, anchovies, chopped onion and parsley.
- Allow to cook for a couple of minutes before adding a tablespoon of flour and mixing well.
- Add the snails, then pour in a glass of white wine and let it evaporate completely.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer with the lid on for approx. 50 minutes at low heat.
- Serve hot with toasted bread slices.
Leave A Comment