Milanese-style tripe (Trippa Meneghina) is a traditional Milanese dish, an incredibly tasty peasant recipe made with inexpensive but nutritious, high-protein ingredients.
Ingredients – serves 4
- 1kg tripe
- 100g sweet bacon, cubed
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 50g Grana Padano cheese
- 300g pre-boiled beans
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 potato
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 sage leaves
- 10 datterino tomatoes
- Butter (or Olive oil)
This dish is ideal during winter months.
- Clean the tripe with care and cut it into strips.
- Sauté the chopped vegetables (onion, carrot and celery) in a casserole with a garlic clove and 2 sage leaves. Add cubed sweet bacon and lightly fry in some butter or olive oil for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tripe and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add smashed datterino tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste. Cover the tripe in vegetable stock and allow to simmer for about 3 hours. Add grated Grana Padano cheese.
- About 30 minutes before the tripe is ready, add peeled and cubed potatoes.
- About 15 minutes before turning the stove off, add pre-boiled beans to the tripe.