Pasta and beans is a main dish very popular all over Italy. It is made with simple, cheap and easily accessible ingredients. In the past it was very popular among farmers because they could cook it with products from their gardens. This dish is typical from Tuscany, Lazio, Lombardy and Veneto. We will use Cavatelli, a typical type of pasta from the south of Italy, perfect for this dish. You can find this dish in the menu of Trattoria da Jole in Bareggio, a town near Milano.
Pasta and beans
Ingredients – 4 people
- 1/2 onion
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 carrot
- 1 bay leaf
- 400g Cavatelli pasta
- 250g fresh borlotti beans
- Parsley q.s.
You could also add pork rind to make it tastier.
How to cook pasta and beans
- Prepare the fresh beans leaving them to soak for 10 hours at least.
- In a pan, brown celery, carrot and onion, everything minced before.
- Add beans and previously prepared vegetable stock little by little.
- Put pasta inside and cook it adding water or stock until obtaining the right consistency.
Eating this is even more enjoyable understanding the history.