Pizzoccheri is a traditional dish of Valtellina featuring delicious buckwheat pasta with potatoes, cheese and Savoy cabbage. It’s the most representative and popular dish of Valtellina, mainly consumed during winter months.
Pizzoccheri pasta recipe
- Boxed or homemade pizzoccheri
- Valtellina Casera cheese
- Savoy cabbage
- Black pepper
Many star chefs add grated truffle or porcini mushrooms to enrich the flavour.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, then add cubed potatoes and chopped Savoy cabbage. Boil the vegetables for 5 minutes, then add the pizzoccheri. Swiss chard, spinach or green beans can be used as a substitute for cabbage, according to the season and to your personal preference.
- After 10 minutes, remove some of the pizzoccheri and vegetables from the pot with a slotted spoon, place them in a warm baking dish and sprinkle with grated Grana Padano and Casera cheese. Continue alternating layers of pizzoccheri and cheese.
- Melt the butter and add some garlic cloves. Fry until brown and then pour over the pizzoccheri and cheese. Don’t mix.
- Serve the pizzoccheri with a sprinkle of black pepper. Bon appetit!
Eating this is even more enjoyable understanding the history.